Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Homemade Mini Hamburgers

 
My husband and I grew up in the southeastern part of the US.  This is the land of Krystal hamburgers.  Krystal hamburgers are my husband's favorite fast food.  Now I know we are trying to clean up our diet and these hamburgers do not fit the bill.  I just place them in the 20% of our 80/20 plan.  However, thanks to the US Army, we are not frequently in the an area where Krystals are available, much to his distress.  Luckily, I have found an outstanding recipe that tastes pretty much exactly like them.  And I know what is in them, Yay! 
Homemade Mini Hamburgers (Krystals)
Ground beef
Pickles
Onions chopped
Square Dinner Rolls
Mustard
Cheese (optional)
 

I use about 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef.  This makes 24 hamburgers.  You can adjust your recipe for your needs.  You can also cut down on the beef and add in raw oats with your ground beef and you don't even notice it.  I used this little trick a lot in the past.  Chop up an onion.  Mix it in the beef.  Add salt and pepper. 
 Mush the mixture all down in a jelly roll pan.  It will be thin.  Cook it in the oven at 350* for about 20 minutes or until done.  My family loves cheese.  So at this point, I drain most of the fat and top it with some cheese and stick it back in the oven for a couple of minutes for the cheese to melt. 
 Slice up some pickles and get your rolls ready.  I love the Hawaiian rolls.  Once the meat is done, cut it into little squares.  You can use a pizza cutter or a knife.  Then start making up the burgers.  For each one, put on a square of meat, add a squirt of mustard and a pickle.  Once you have it all put together I will tell you the secret to making it taste just like a Krystal hamburger.  Put them back on the greasy pan where the meat cooked.  Then cover the whole thing with foil and let it steam for a few minutes.  You get this magical, soft, greasy hamburger that is delicious! 

 These make great appetizer foods for a party or potluck too!  They are so yummy my family thinks they are such a treat when I make them.  They don't take long, and it is a little better for us.  I still don't know that I would move it over into our 80% column, but at least it is closer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment