Thursday, March 21, 2013

How Kids Play


I am often amazed at the way my children play.  They are very creative.  There favorite thing to do is to get the pieces out of games and then make up new games with them. At first this used to drive me to distraction!  
 

Our games were forever missing pieces and dice. Then when we were actually going to play a game we had to look all over the house for the pieces! I have relaxed a lot since then. I figure the games are for them, and if they get more enjoyment out of playing with the pieces than with the game, so be it. 


Plus we have become very creative in finding alternate pieces for the games!  We have recently used the carebears for pawns in chess.  They worked great!  My little clownfish played for HOURS with the dominoes, jenga, and carebears and some dinosaurs from a math game.  He had a whole little world going, with prison camps, and a king and walled castles. 


It was really quite amazing.  He also had everything sorted by color and size.  I ought to be able to count that as school!

The point of this is, I could have told him to keep the pieces with the games.  That if he wanted to play, we could play the game as it was "supposed" to be played.  But I didn't.  I just let him go.  Afterward, I encouraged him to put everything away, which he did.  It was a wonderful, creative day.  So, I want to encourage you to think outside the "game"box and sometimes, just let them go.  You might be quite amazed at what they come up with on their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment